Mark Garton a Hull joiner commenced trading in 1888 from premises in Day Street, Anlaby Road. At the turn of the century he started to conduct funerals and in 1927 carried out 20 funerals in the year. The joinery and building side of the business grew and in order to facilitate this increase, larger workshops were found in St. Georges Road.
In 1925 a shop in Arthur Street was bought to take funeral orders and to sell flower vases for the cemetery. A chapel of rest was not included then, as it was customary for the deceased to be left at home with relatives and friends calling at the house to pay their respects. Around the same period a larger workshop was found in Haddon Street, Hawthorn Avenue and the St. Georges Road premises were sold. At this time the manufacturing joinery side of the business employed some twenty men.
In 1932 the Anlaby Road premises were purchased to include a chapel of rest, as this became an expected feature of a Funeral Directors service.
Albert Garton (Mark's son) continued to develop the business and in the 1940's his two sons, Ron and Walter, became involved in the firm. In the 50's and 60's Ron developed contracts in the trade and coffins were manufactured and supplied to other Funeral Directors throughout East Yorkshire. The cars for the funerals had to be hired from Ellyards Taxis of Hessle Road until a second-hand hearse and car were purchased. Walter left the firm in the late 1950's to pursue a career as a freelance BBC cameraman specialising in film and video production.
Malcolm (Ron's son) joined the firm in August 1968 starting at the workshop in Haddon Street where coffins were still being hand-made. New Humber Hawk limousines were bought in 1967/68 and the cars were also available for weddings.
In 1977 a compulsory purchase order was placed on the Haddon Street workshop and this resulted in the move to 819, Hessle Road to include offices, chapel of rest and garage all under one roof. At this stage the joinery side of the business finished due to a planning regulation that no machinery could be used for manufacturing at the new site. The last items made at Haddon Street were garden gates.
Prior to the move to Hessle Road around 300 funerals per year were being carried out, after increasing business over the next decade a branch was opened at 26 Chamberlain Road. The three Hull branches were constantly improved and refurbished to provide clean modern premises. As a visit to a funeral directors is not perceived as a pleasant experience M. Garton & Son continously strive to provide peaceful relaxing surroundings in which to conduct business, or pay your last respects to a loved one.
In August 1993 Eric Walkers Funeral Service, Hedon was purchased, this branch serves clients in Hedon & Holderness.
June 2004 saw the purchase of J.B. Morton & Son of North Cave to serve the surrounding villages west of Hull.